Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Project Super Scope

by: Terry Best
terry@twohubs.com

PURPOSE:

Lightweight hardtails always drift in and out of the minds of nostalgic mountain bikers who have time to fantasize and are guilty of being weight weenies. Every couple of years I find myself being lured back into the world of hardtails as manufacturers release new frames and components and the possibilities become greater. 2010 has proven to be just that and I recently decided to embark down a no-expenses-spared path to create a very light (yet ridable for everyday use) hardtail mountain bike.

CHOOSING A FRAME MANUFACTURER:

In this day and age manufacturers are vectoring towards maximizing margins and minimizing manufacturing costs - all while offering a full range of product to satisfy every type of cyclist.

Stevens Bikes in Germany does not completely conform to this new approach and continues to focus its energy on producing performance bikes for the hardcore enthusiasts. Stevens Bikes has always aimed to deliver uncompromised performance via the latest composite technologies, a borderline excessive attention to detail, and in the lightest of packages.

Upon viewing their 2010 Performance mountain bike line I immediately became curious as to what the true potential was of Stevens' Scope Team hardtail frame:

SIZING:

My preference leaning towards a 90mm to 100mm maximum length stem for a cross country bike, the 610mm top tube measurement for the 20" frame would be a perfect fit. The 18" frame's 590mm top tube would be acceptable, but unfortunately my 79cm saddle height (center of bottom bracket to the top of the saddle) would require just too much seatpost and steerer tube. After removing my newly acquired 20" Scope from its well packaged box I weighed the frame (with derailleur hanger) at 1140 grams. Not bad!

GOING GOLD:

The Stevens Scope proudly presents the German national colors of black, red, and yellow on the dark raw carbon and white canvas. My past projects have always incorporated common colors in cycling such as red and white, etc. A few short moments later while viewing the frame from afar I noticed that the thin red pinstripes next to their yellow counterparts did something very special for the yellow - I had an idea. After holding up a pair of gold Tune DC16/17 mountain bike QR skewers against the top tube I authenticated my theory that gold would stand out superbly against the Scope's unique colors.

While trying to accumulate premium lightweight components I realized obtaining parts that incorporated gold would be difficult. Fortunately I'm a stubborn person with quite a lot of patience. So the journey begins..

1 comment:

  1. Am very curious what your conclusions will be after your thorough investigation. Will follow this as this makes sense to me too. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete